Saturday, September 11, 2010

How to look and feel like Julia Childs


If you are wondering how to look and feel like Julia Childs, it's really very simple, all you need are three simple components.  A kitchen island, several small bowls, and a Big Girl Bib will get you started on your journey to the induction of the Culinary Institute Hall of Fame.

I'm having a love affair with this kitchen island.  Forrest and I went to war with the previous owners of our house for it.  It was brutal.  Punches were thrown, cars were keyed, windows were soaped, trees were toilet papered, and underpants were frozen.  Okay, that really didnt happen but I like to pretend it did because it makes you realize how important an island is for your kitchen. 
Ingredients for vegetable pad thai
I had a roomate in Australia who taught me a thing or two in the kitchen.  Before he cooked, he would put everything that he needed into small bowls.  This way, all you have to do is throw it in a pot at the appropriate time!  It eliminates the "oh sugar" moment you have when you realize you still need to spend the next nine minutes grating carrots or mincing garlic. 


 
When was the last time you wore an apron?  I wore one just the other day while cooking and I loved it because I had something to wipe my wet  and slimy hands on.  I also loved it because I have the most disturbing disease.  No matter what I am eating or how careful I am being, I can't seem to make it without some sort of spill on my clothes (or on other peoples clothes).  An apron is what I like to refer to as a Big Girl Bib. It's the perfect medication for a person who has been diagnosed with the disease, spillalloveryourselfdaily. The Big Girl Bib doesn't really have any side effects except they can be a bit pricy if you get too many.  The best part of the Big Girl Bib is to wear it during dinner.  That way you can say, "oh my goodness!!!  I totally forgot to take my apron off during dinner.....ha ha ha ha."  The secret is, you have just walked away from an entire meal without one speck of food on your clothes!




So get your kitchen island, some small bowls, and some Big Girl Bibs and you will be looking and feeling like Julia Childs in no time at all! Your friends will be wooed, your cooking will be fabulous, and your clothes will be clean.

2 comments: